Encyclopedia of Shinto Kokugakuin University
 main menu
  »New EOS site

  »Home

  »Foreword

  »Guide to Usage

  »Contributors & Translators

  

  »Movies List
 Links
AND OR

Home » 3. Institutions and Administrative Practices » Modern and Contemporary
Jingū Kenshūsho
Ise Shrines' Priest Training Institute. A priest training institute (shinshoku yōsei kikan) run by the Ise shrines and approved by the Jinja Honchō (Association of Shintō Shrines). The precursor was the Ise regular priest training course founded in 1952, known as the Ise Shinmu Jisshūsei Seido (Ise Practical Course on Administering Sacred Duties). In 1955 it changed its name to Jingū Kōgakukan University and with the appointment of a president, course supervisors, and teaching staff, it became a fully-fledged institute for the training of shrine priests. In 1969, it changed its name once more, this time to Jingū Kenshūsho, and was formally approved as a first-tier training institute by the Jinja Honchō (Association of Shintō Shrines). It subsequently implemented a two-year training course (seikai katei), which it continues to this day. It presently recruits ten students per year who are high school graduates up to the age of twenty-five.
Address: Mie Prefecture, Ise City, Nakamura Town, Sakuragaoka 56.

— Sakamoto Koremaru
"Establishment of a National Learning Institute for the Dissemination of Research on Shinto and Japanese Culture"
4-10-28 Higashi, Shibuya-ku, Tokyo, 150-8440, Japan
URL http://21coe.kokugakuin.ac.jp/
Copyright ©2002-2006 Kokugakuin University. All rights reserved.
Ver. 1.3