Encyclopedia of Shinto Kokugakuin University
 main menu
  »New EOS site

  »Home

  »Foreword

  »Guide to Usage

  »Contributors & Translators

  

  »Movies List
 Links
AND OR

Home » 8. Schools, Groups, and Personalities » Personalities
Keikōin Shūyō
( d. 1611)
Buddhist nun of the Azuchi-Momoyama period (ca. 1574-1600) and fourth matriarch of the Buddhist convent Keisōin in Uji, Ise Province (present-day Mie Prefecture). Lamenting the harm suffered by the Grand Shrines of Ise (Ise Jingū) due to the civil wars of the period, Shūyō received an imperial lwarrant from Emperor Ōgimachi to seek nationwide donations to aid in the reconstruction efforts. She first successfully sponsored a provisional shrine removal of the Inner Shrine (Naikū) to temporary facilities in 1575, and then made plans to resurrect the institution of vicennial Regular Removals (shikinen sengū) at both Inner and Outer (Gekū) shrines. As she gathered materials from throughout the country, she also received large donations from warlord Oda Nobunaga, and after his death, from his successor Toyotomi Hideyoshi as well.
       In this way, ten years after the provisional removal of the Inner Shrine in 1575, the first Regular Removal (shikinen sengū) of the Grand Shrines in over one hundred and twenty years was observed in 1585—marking the forty-first such Removal in the Shrine's history.
       The Buddhist nuns of the temple Keikōin came to be known as sengū shōnin (Reconstruction Saints) and ise shōnin (Ise Saints) for their pious work. Shūyō died on the twenty-sixth day of the fourth month of 1611.

- Nakanishi Masayuki
"Establishment of a National Learning Institute for the Dissemination of Research on Shinto and Japanese Culture"
4-10-28 Higashi, Shibuya-ku, Tokyo, 150-8440, Japan
URL http://21coe.kokugakuin.ac.jp/
Copyright ©2002-2006 Kokugakuin University. All rights reserved.
Ver. 1.3