Encyclopedia of Shinto Kokugakuin University
 main menu
  »New EOS site

  »Home

  »Foreword

  »Guide to Usage

  »Contributors & Translators

  

  »Movies List
 Links
AND OR

Home » 8. Schools, Groups, and Personalities » Modern Sectarian Groups
Samuhara Jinja
A Shinto-derived new religious movement which began in 1935 when Tanaka Tomisaburō (1868-1967) rebuilt a dilapidated shrine in Okayama. After he had experienced a close brush with death on the frontline during the Russo-Japanese War, Tanaka felt he had received power from a talisman inscribed with four ideograms which he read sa-mu-ha-ra, and in turn he began to make miniature amulets (omamori) of this sort which he distributed for free. Because of such proselytizing activities, however, the regional authorities accused him of using an unauthorized shrine to conduct private business, and as punishment, the shrine he had constructed was stripped of its contents and burned to the ground in 1936.
       Tanaka, however, continued his activities of distributing amulets to troops being sent to the Asian front during World War II, and following the war in 1951, he registered his movement under the Religious Corporations Law (Shūkyō Hōjinhō) and rebuilt the shrine. In 1952 he moved the shrine to its present location. After Tanaka's death his adopted son Tanaka Kōichi succeeded him.
       Headquarters: Osaka Prefecture.
       Nominal membership: approximately 500,000 (S)

— Yumiyama Tatsuya
Footage of the precincts of Samuhara Jinja.

Osaka Prefecture, 2007

©Ōsawa Kōji

"Establishment of a National Learning Institute for the Dissemination of Research on Shinto and Japanese Culture"
4-10-28 Higashi, Shibuya-ku, Tokyo, 150-8440, Japan
URL http://21coe.kokugakuin.ac.jp/
Copyright ©2002-2006 Kokugakuin University. All rights reserved.
Ver. 1.3